INFORMATION & SETTING
Rappaport's law strictly forbids any fraternization with non magical folk. Witches and Wizards have long been forbidden from any intermingling; no friendship, certainly no romance. Support for a repeal grows, though, and many fear North America's magical line dying out without fresh bloodlines. Mysterious disappearances tied to witch hunters have occurred throughout the magical community, however. So, which fear will win out? The fear of being wiped out or the fear of fading away?
Mount Greylock, Massachusetts
OCTOBER, 1964
S
M
T
W
T
F
S
ADMINS
RATIOS
Ilvermorny Staff - 3
Horned Serpent - 4
Wampus - 4
Pukwudgie - 5
Thunderbird - 5
MACUSA Employee - 3
Wardwell Employee - 1
Berkshire Hills Resident - 2

Male - 12
Female - 15
Nonbinary - 0

Total Characters - 27
UPDATES
✬ The board has transitioned to October!
✬ There has been a small addition to character creation rules! Check announcements for more information.
✬ Ilvermorny is now officially open!
CREDITS
The skin was created by Vanessa of SHINE and CAUTION, with edits by Alea. Custom Forum Structure script created by Black of Elegant Expressions. The collapsible cbox script is by Kismet of RPG-Directory and the code box script is by Nicole of Shine. Vector icons are by Fort Awesome and you can find the main font Here. Lastly, the site graphics were created by Alea. The plot was created by Alea and Sandy purely for Ilvermony. Original characters belong to their respective writer. All Harry Potter based names and items are property of JK Rowling and Warner Brothers.

BOARD HOME
RULES
RESOURCES
APPLICATIONS
CLAIMS
MEMBER DIRECTORY
WANT ADS
ADVERTISING

Add Reply
New Poll

September 15th || All Eyes On Me, Phaedra
Cyrus Lane
 Posted: Feb 6 2017, 07:24 PM
30 Years Old
May 3rd, 1934
MACUSA Employee
Alea
Undersecretary to the MA MACUSA representative
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood
Fir wood with a unicorn hair core, 14 ½" and hard flexibility

Cyrus Lane

September 15th, 1964
The one highlight of Cyrus' job taking him to Ilvermorny on a regular basis was that he got to walk familiar places and see familiar faces. He and Phaedra Blackthorn had never been friends persey, but they got on well enough and he enjoyed talking to her. Now, with all the talk going around with the people that he worked with and with the paper putting out half cocked stories, he was very curious to see how she was doing. Work didn't actually require that he stop by just yet, but he wasn't going to tell them that. His schedule was free for the day and so he was going to use the time.

He tucked a pouch of wendigo leather into the pocket of his robe and headed to the school. The gates admitted him without question, which was worth note. With the recurring attacks on wizards and witches, any breach of security was worth notice. What if he was coming for some nefarious purpose? Although he was there for what he considered a legitimate reason there was no way to prove that. Somebody, somewhere, should have stopped him, should have asked what he was doing there unscheduled and unannounced. Yet no one hindered him at all as he headed to the office of Ilvermorny's newest professor.

Cyrus, a firm believer in making a point of showing respect, paused to knock on the office door. By rights, he probably could have gotten away with letting himself in, but he wouldn't do that without cause. It wasn't like he was an auror; he wasn't here to interrogate her or arrest her. "Phaedra," he called, "It's Cyrus, open the door." It would be just his luck if she ended up not being in her office, though he knew she wasn't in class at the moment. Maybe he should have written to her and asked her to meet him for lunch. That, though, would look dangerously like he was showing interest. An interest that might prove to cause conflict with his work. That was best avoided, especially at current.

@Cassandra
PMEmail
^
Phaedra Blackthorn
 Posted: Feb 7 2017, 01:30 AM
30 Years Old
November 11th
Ilvermorny Staff
Cassandra
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood
Swamp Mayhaw and Rougarou Hair

Phaedra Blackthorn

What a disaster. The guilt that Phaedra carried with her clung to her and covered her eyes like a veil, forcing her to see suspicion wherever she went. She imagined her students, and perhaps even some of her colleagues judged her over what they had read in the Gazette. She was not worthy. She had seen Professor Beaumont under suspicious circumstances. Did you hear she has a wand made by Violetta Beauvais? It was not a good start to the school year, and not a good start to what would hopefully become a long career as Ilvermorny’s Potions professor. This battle to prove that she was not only the last person who would have harmed that dear old man was secondary only to the battle she had always faced: proving that she was worthy of this job. There was no one better. Phaedra knew she was made for this, and all she had to do was convince-- well, everyone, apparently.

Phaedra knew she needed to take a few minutes to collect her thoughts before preparing the rest of her syllabus for the school year, for all seven years, and so she had headed to what was now her office. It felt strange without the presence of her mentor, unwelcoming and unsettled. If she was going to make it hers, she would have to change the way the room was set up--but that could all come later. Organizing a class for the rest of the year without having expected to, without the benefit of dear old tottery Professor Beauvais...well she could handle it, dammit. All she had to do was get it done.

She took a deep breath and straightened her skirts as she took a seat at the heavy, dark-stained desk. Setting out a quill and pot of ink, she summoned her parchments from the shelf just in time to hear a solid knock at the door. Cyrus Lane and he--

Phaedra frowned, clenched her fists, and released them. Pushing her chair back abruptly, she half-stomped over to the door and flung it open. “Was that a demand, Mister Lane?” She had meant to sound authoritative, but perhaps it had come off a bit aggressive for a man who had at one time been almost a friend. Poking her head out of the door to her office, she glanced down to each end of the hall. No students meant she could afford him a bit of a friendlier tone, surely. “Hello, Cyrus. Please come in.” she invited, stepping aside from the door and returning to her seat. She could close it with a flick of a wand, and it was only proper she be seated first. “Does MACUSA want my hide on a banner yet, or is this something of a friendly visit?”

@Alea
PM
^
Cyrus Lane
 Posted: Feb 12 2017, 05:20 PM
30 Years Old
May 3rd, 1934
MACUSA Employee
Alea
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood

Cyrus Lane

Cyrus drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly, exhaling the annoyance that immediately cropped up with the sharpness of her response. "No," he answered, perhaps a bit too sharply, as she opened the door. He didn't want to get off on the wrong foot, though, and judging by her tone when she spoke again, she seemed to agree. Besides, he reminded himself, the last couple of weeks couldn't have been the easiest for Phaedra. Perhaps she deserved some slack.

"As it so happens, Professor Blackthorn," he said with a small smile, stepping around her and into the office. "I'm technically off duty. When I am making a demand, though, you'll know it." He crossed to her desk, drew the cloth wrapped wendigo leather from his bag and sat it down. Then he moved to lean against the wall, arms folded over his chest. For a moment he just watched her, his dark eyed gaze rather analytical.

Finally he answered, "If they were going to send someone to cart you off, it wouldn't be me, Phae. It's not like they don't know we have a working relationship. Besides, I'm more procedure than enforcement." He shrugged, the toe of his shoe tapping gently against the floor. "Have they sent aurors to speak to you yet?" If they hadn't, it was almost definitely going to happen soon. Last he'd heard there still wasn't any leads and certain peculiarities of the case meant that the investigation would continue until all avenues exhausted. Hopefully there would be new avenues soon, though. He couldn't believe that Phaedra would have anything to do with something so insidious.

@Cassandra
PMEmail
^
Phaedra Blackthorn
 Posted: Feb 18 2017, 10:51 PM
30 Years Old
November 11th
Ilvermorny Staff
Cassandra
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood

Phaedra Blackthorn

Phaedra frowned at the sharpness of Cyrus’s tone. For a second, she felt something like fingers at the back of her neck, urging her to prove her place and assert that she would not be walked over. She had to remind herself that Cyrus likely meant no harm. He had been kind to her when they had been students. Out of everyone she had known, he had been the only one to tell her he thought she did the right thing by not marrying Charlie when he’d asked. She was doing the right thing by pursuing a career that she loved, and that she had an obvious talent for. No one else had agreed; especially not poor Charlie. She still missed him sometimes, when she thought of the life she could have had. She might have had a little one starting at Ilvermorny this year, if things had been different.

“I might know it, but I expect it not to happen in my classroom, Mr. Lane.” she asserted, folding her hands in front of her. Even so, she attempted a small smile in return for his own. It felt awkward on her face, and she let it drop quickly to the cloth he set on her desk. She blinked, then looked up at him, straight faced. Had he brought her something like he used to do, when they were students? “What’s this?” she asked, quietly, nudging at the cloth with a curious finger. “You...may call me Phaedra when my students aren’t around, Cyrus. It’s not like we’re unacquainted.”

Phae had been trying to prove her worth for so long, she might have forgotten how to be friendly. “Thank you...you didn’t have to bring me anything.” The words left her mouth much more politely than she had expected, and that made her smile. Phaedra had always known her manners, and the last thing she wanted was to be cruel to someone who she had once considered at least a kind acquaintance. “Not really. I had an initial interview, but at the moment I’m still waiting for someone to ‘be in touch’. The papers certainly seem convinced of my guilt, so I donate them to the fireplace in my room.” She lifted the cloth to peek underneath. Wendigo leather--beautiful. “Goodness, Lane, how many campers did you have to sacrifice to manage this? Hm. Thank you.” Phaedra paused, studying him for a moment before speaking again. “Alright, since you won’t say if this is friendly and I know it’s almost always business with you...what is it, Cyrus?”

@Alea
PM
^
Cyrus Lane
 Posted: Feb 26 2017, 09:47 PM
30 Years Old
May 3rd, 1934
MACUSA Employee
Alea
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood

Cyrus Lane

"I would never under mind your authority in front of your students," Cyrus assured her. He was mostly sincere, though they both probably knew that there was a certain caveat. If MACUSA required him to make some sudden move he would do it, whether she was actively teaching or not. Otherwise, he respected her position and the hadrwork and dedication it had taken for her to get there. Circumstances aside, he rather thought she deserved the spot. Beaumont had been an old man, talented and experienced, certainly, but past his prime. Phaedra had been honing her expertise for practically as long as Cyrus had known her.

He shrugged, knowing that she'd check out the small package herself when she was ready. After all, it wasn't the first time he'd brought her rare ingredients just because he had them. Hopefully it wouldn't be the last. "A gift? It was available to be claimed and I thought you'd find better use for it than most." The smallest hint of a smirk crossed his face as she informed him that he could call her Phaedra. He'd been being sarcastic when he called her by her title, but maybe he hadn't made that clear enough. "I'll keep that in mind, Professor."

"Like I said, I thought you'd make good use of it. Don't go thinking it's some sort of display of affection," Cyrus responded, with a small laugh. In a way it was a token of something like affection; he'd known her for a long time and she'd earned and continued to hold his respect. That wasn't something many people managed. Still, it wouldn't do to be getting too close. Not in the current climate, not with the positions they were both in. He smiled, a rare genuine smile, as she peeked at what he'd brought her. For just a moment he'd let the comment about the papers go. They'd come back to it, he was sure. "One of the beast management crews was recently tasked with eliminating a group of wendigo and the hides were allotted for clinics and MACUSA sponsored healers, but there was some excess. I barely pulled any strings, I promise."

Cyrus sighed, brushing a hand over his beard. "Well, like I said, I'm off the clock. It can't be too much about business." He shook his head, pushing away from the wall so that he could stand a bit straighter, his hands dropping to his pockets. "Mostly I came to see how you're holding up. The papers haven't been...unbiased." Fair was a weak word, a child's word. The world wasn't fair and so it wouldn't do to merely say the papers had been unfair to Phaedra. Unbiased reporting was something that could be expected though, something that often went amiss. He paused, glancing toward the office door for a moment. There wouldn't be any ears listening in; all the documentation for that sort of thing crossed his desk at some point, he'd have known if surveillance had been set up. Was it safe to speak his mind, though? Would a moment of honesty cost him the position, the power, that he'd always worked so hard for?

@Cassandra
PMEmail
^
Phaedra Blackthorn
 Posted: Mar 12 2017, 10:06 PM
30 Years Old
November 11th
Ilvermorny Staff
Cassandra
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood

Phaedra Blackthorn

Phaedra fixed Cyrus with a flat stare, but allowed a small nod of thanks to follow it. What he meant was that he wouldn’t undermine her authority in front of her students unless his job required it of him. Phae had always known Cyrus as a man who had a relentless dedication to his work, and she didn’t think that would change for anyone. Even if the man married someday, she imagined the woman would have to put up with being mistress second to MACUSA. She could hardly criticize him. After all, she had chosen to put her chance at love and a family behind her career as well. A man had to make his own way in the world, and could not expect to be taken care of by anyone else once he left his mother behind. Phaedra could not think why it should be any different from her. Perhaps she was afraid to depend on anyone but herself, but she would never admit it even if it was true.

The flat look she had for him returned at his smirk and sarcastic tone. “Very good, Mister Lane.” she returned, a hint of challenge in her voice. “I wouldn’t dream of imagining you as an affectionate suitor.” she teased him, a small smile fleeting on her face as she took a look at the scrap of leather. “I appreciate it, Cyrus. It’s very thoughtful. Of course the healing preparation is preferable, but you can also use this to make a particularly nasty poison. They always want to learn about the poisons…” Phaedra shook her head, carefully re-wrapping the skin. No, she wouldn’t be preparing any starvation poisons with this lovely gift.

She blinked, aware of how very much like a murderess some might wish to twist the intention of that comment. Of course she knew she didn’t mean it that way. Cyrus knew she didn’t mean it that way, but she had to be more cautious with any who would come to interrogate her in the future. She folded her hands and glanced down at them, a small, concerned frown following the thought. “I’m fine, thank you. As progressive as the magical world is compared to the no-maj, everyone is still inclined to think poorly of an unwed woman in her thirties. I very much expect it by now, but it’s kind of you to check in. Of course, Beaumont was my mentor. I would never harm a hair on that old man’s head. He had precious few left, anyway.”

Phaedra sighed, and shook her head. “I don’t believe he died in his sleep, of course, but I lack facts about the investigation. All I know is that he was alive and well when I left my luncheon with him. I left a small basket of pastries with him as well. After that, I returned home to Salem to see my family before the start of term. I’m saddened that my mentor is gone, but the papers can’t do anything more than bruise my students’ opinions of me. I’m teach a difficult class. It is already healthily bruised.”

@Alea
PM
^
Cyrus Lane
 Posted: Mar 18 2017, 01:37 PM
30 Years Old
May 3rd, 1934
MACUSA Employee
Alea
PLOTTER
APPLICATION
TRACKER
SANDBOX
Pureblood

Cyrus Lane

Cyrus nodded, acknowledging her gratitude. The small smirk he wore felt natural on his face, an expression he was far from unfamiliar with. "Maybe there's a hint of affection there," he admitted, "but I'm far from a suitor. I don't think either of have the time." He was fond of Phaedra, in his own sort of way. They had similar perspectives on the world, he felt and similar values. She was right, though; he wasn't there to woo her her and he couldn't foresee a day when that would ever be the case. The gift had been more practical than anything else; rare ingredients were best put to use rather than sitting to rot in a storage locker. "I'm glad you already have ideas for it. I knew I made the right choice."

"Just keep focusing on your career," He advised, though he felt that it was pretty redundant. Phae had never done anything but focus on her job, it was who she was. "It'll all get cleared up, eventually, and we'll figure out what's behind all these disappearances." Regardless of what the official word was, everyone with half a brain knew that this was all connected, that these seemingly random events couldn't possibly be disconnected. The aurors knew it too. They had to.

Cyrus nodded, crossing his arms over his chest. "I don't believe it either, I don't think many with knowledge of the case do either." That was saying too much, he knew that, but he trusted her. Perhaps he trusted her a bit more than he should and without enough cause. They'd known each other for a long time, at least. That probably counted for something. "I suppose that's a decent way to look at it. Surely, though, some of the students don't mind you? You're knowledgeable enough."

@Cassandra
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

Affiliates and Listings
Our button:
Ilvermorny

RPG-D Shadowplay Distant Fantasies

SKINNED BY Vanessa of SHINE and CAUTION
GO TO TOP